Call for Papers (Download CFP PDF)
VIRTUAL – Hosted from Orange County, CA. — April 21-23, 2022
Sustainability: the pursuit of environmentally sound development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the future!
The 9th Annual IEEE Technologies for Sustainability Conference (SusTech 2022) is designed to explore technical development that meets the needs of the present without compromising future generations. The conference brings together scientists, engineers, technologists, and scholars from disparate disciplines to conduct a dialogue on environmental issues and collaborate on ideas to develop and utilize innovative tools and intelligent systems to address them. Attendees will explore emerging relevant technologies, the latest tools, and proactive solutions to take their sustainability programs to the next level.
New for SusTech 2022 Conference – Sustainable Aviation Track
Sustainable aviation involves activities to improve aircraft fuel efficiency, develop the next generation of efficient air traffic control, and develop new technologies and systems engineering processes to reach the future of carbon-neutral air transportation across the globe. The aviation industry has already made significant progress in fuel and CO2 efficiency, halving the amount of fuel used per flight compared to 1990. This has been achieved through technological advancement and improvements in operations and infrastructure. However, the aviation industry still represents approximately 2.5% of global human-induced CO2 emissions. In order for the industry to meet the climate goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, it will require rigorous climate action and cooperation across the entire value chain operating as an ecosystem. We would like to explore how the industry can get there with accelerated efficiency measures, energy transition, and innovation across the aviation sector and in partnership with governments around the world.
We invite Papers for SusTech 2022 in ONE of the following areas;
- Sustainable Aviation – the Story so Far …
We already have efficient “More Electric Aircraft” that are in service today.
What has been achieved in “Sustainability” for the management of the Electrical Power Systems by actions taken so far?
- Flight Control Systems (FCS) – Fly by Wire, Sensors, Communication systems,
- Propulsion, Power Management Systems, Actuation systems
- Path to Net-Zero Carbon Emissions for the aviation industry
What is the roadmap from here to “Full” electric – challenges, opportunities
- Electric/Hybrid aircraft technology – batteries, engines …
- Roadmap and challenges for green efuels for aviation – transition to sustainable, synthetic, green hydrogen
- Potential for “full” electric technology in aviation to disrupt connectivity as we know it today – eg Urban Air Mobility, air taxis, eVTOL, drone
- Operationalization of “green” aviation – using new technology, sources of energy and fuel, increased digitalization
- What it means in terms of certification and standardization
- Safety, Cybersecurity
- Air traffic management
- Airport infrastructure
Instructions to Authors: Submit in PDF form, full submission of the paper for oral presentation via the
SusTech website. For information for authors, please visit the conference website at https://ieee-sustech.org
and select the Details for Authors menu item and follow the instructions.
Call for Papers (Download CFP PDF)
Siobhan Dolan Clancy, Sustainable Aviation Track, Chair
SDC Business Consulting Ltd